[bbssig] BBS Linking

Randy NV0U randy.nv0u at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 17:06:16 UTC 2009

First, thank you everyone for your responses! Dang, you guys are fast
at getting answers to me... I really appreciate it!

I probably should clarify a bit on what I am needing to do here.

As I noted, Kansas City has become a veritable packet black hole. It
is pretty crummy. Over the years, many many nodes and digis have
vanished. Someone mentioned getting in touch with NW0I who is about 30
miles RF path from me. I sent him an email last night and I am still
waiting on his reply. However, he is on 145.03 and I am on 145.09, and
even if I was to move it would not work very well.

That said, right now RF is out, unfortunately, on VHF. Too much of the
infrastructure has gone away. It is going to take some time to get the
stuff back in place so we can send stuff across town, let alone 30
miles, via RF.

HF is not doable. My HF stuff is QRP and I almost never move it off
the CW position.  I also just do not have the real estate to put up
another HF antenna (trust me, I wish I could). So, I am needing to do
these BBS-BBS connects over the internet.

Things are set up here on Ubuntu  - I am now just needing someplace to
connect!  VE3CGN and myself are going to try getting a link going here
in the next few days, but neither of us are linked to anyone either.
So, any telnet/ssh links over the interwebitubes would be greatly
appreciated at this point.

73 for now

Randy NV0U

Also, Bill - thank you for that link. It verified I have stuff set up
right on this end. I will note however that the AX.25 Howto's are
really awful and very out of date. Thank goodness my 10 years of being
a Linux admin helped. I pity the guy that comes into trying to get a
box up on Linux with no background at all. I think I should write up
something to at least get the stuff up to today's distros.