[digi-voice] Digital voice over high-speed packet

Ken Linder (kc7rad) kc7rad at radstream.com
Thu Oct 28 20:01:40 UTC 2004

Thanks all for the info...

I have been experimenting with a codex called speex (www.speex.org) and can
get decent results down to about 5kbps, just after the first night.  I am
sure I can get it down less than that.

There is a LOT of header overhead with AX.25 and that is something that will
have to be death with for my little project.  I was hoping to overcome this
problem by going to very high speeds.  I just purchased a Kantronics TNC,
supposedly capable of up to 32kbps and even 56kbps with a little circuit
change.

I have been looking around for some alternate protocol that gives a larger
data segment.  Any suggestions???

73s
Ken  KC7RAD