[dsp] Analog front end design

scott at opentrac.org scott at opentrac.org
Tue Apr 26 03:40:36 UTC 2005

I'm not actually using a dsPIC - at least, I have no plans to at the moment.
I'm using an AT91SAM7S64, which has an ARM7TDMI core at around 50 MHz.  A
multiply takes 4 cycles and it's got a load-store architecture, so it's not
going to keep up with a 'real' DSP.   I *know* it can be made to do 1200
baud AFSK well in 4 MIPS or less, but unfortunately I don't have access to
the proprietary code that proves it!  Wouldn't mind licensing it if I could.

I think it can be made to do 9600 baud, but I haven't really experimented
with it yet.  There's no 9600 baud activity around here and it's going to
take some effort to get a real-world test environment set up.  I also need
to do more research on GMSK and G3RUH, and look into compatibility with
existing hardware.

I suppose I could just go with a real DSP (I've got around 500 surplus 100
MIPS TI chips on hand) but it'd considerably complicate the design.  I'm
going for simplicity and low part count.  If at all possible, I want
everything running on the SAM7S chip.  It should be feasible to build a
single-port 1200 baud only version of this thing using just a couple of op
amps for filtering and buffering ahead of the on-board 10-bit ADC.  With the
built-in USB controller, it'd be more flexible and cheaper than the Elcom
uTNC.

I'm looking over www.dspguide.com now.  I think that'll keep me busy for a
little bit - thanks!

Speaking of TNC and DSP experts, if you know anyone who'd be willing to
write code for this (either the 1200 baud or 9600 baud portions) cheap, let
me know.  I can't offer a ton of money, but it's an opportunity to
contribute something to the ham community - open source modem code to go
with an open TNC design that'll sell for less than the KPC-3+ and far exceed
it in flexibility.  For that matter, I'd be willing to offer a share of the
profits, but that's a bit more of a risk than cash up front.  =]  I wouldn't
mind being freed from the DSP learning curve to get back to the programming
I know.  There's certainly plenty of that left to be done.

Scott
N1VG