[dsp] Choosing an analog front end

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Fri Feb 11 18:56:44 UTC 2005

While I'm mostly interested in 1200 baud Bell 202 at the moment, I'm trying
to plan ahead for higher data rates.  I'm looking at some analog front end
chips and trying to select one that'll be usable with G3RUH modulation to at
least 9600 baud.  I just got some samples of the AD73322L today - data sheet
is here:
http://www.analog.com/UploadedFiles/Data_Sheets/12494885AD73322L_a.pdf.

Any thoughts on this part?  It's a dual-channel, 16-bit DAC/ADC, 64 kHz (or
32/16/8 kHz) sample rate.  I see no reason it shouldn't work if set up
properly, but other than resolution and sample rate I'm not sure what
parameters might be critical.  The board it's going on also has an SD/MMC
flash card, and doing voice record/playback should be a piece of cake.  I've
just never done baseband digital before, and that's the part that has me
more worried.  Anything in particular I should look out for?

Thanks,

Scott
N1VG