[dsp] Packet via flashing light? Was PWM/phase relationship

Robert Donnell kd7nm at pugetsound.net
Thu Jan 26 00:06:17 UTC 2006

Scott:

With regard to your application, if you were to use more than one capacitor bank, you should be able achieve a rather higher data rate, since you would be able to make two flashes (at least) much closer together in time.  I've got a vehicle strobe (safety beacon) that is able to produce four flashes in rapid succession (200 ms between flashes?) then repeat that after a second or so, as long as I can keep it powered.  Or for some redundancy, just use two independent flash tubes - redundancy when it comes to trying to find the balloon in the dark, is what I'm thinking of.  If power budget isn't a big issue (since you didn't mention wether these balloons have people onboard, for example, a scheme where you run an inverter to charge a large capacitor, then use an SCR/FET/Bipolar switch to connect that power supply to the capacitor used to supply the charge for the xenon tube, and with multiple switches and capacitors, you should be able to fire one or more tubes in rapid successi
 on.  Could be quite a light show!

Now here's a scary thought - if you use a flash detection to flip a D-flipflop, you could then feed the data to an NRZI-configured HDLC decoder chip, and have clock recovery and framing in the bargain.  Does that make it packet "radio"?  :-)

73, Bob, KD7NM