[Ham-80211] Re: Motorola 900 MHz Canopy Broadband Radio

w3sz w3sz at comcast.net
Sun Aug 29 12:01:19 UTC 2004

Hello, all

The units would fill a need I think many of us have; 3 Mbps plus data rate
on NLOS paths.  But as Rich says, they are extremely expensive.  A single
point to point link would be more than $1500 minimum based on the prices I
found on the web [more like $2K in most cases].  That's a non-starter for
us non-commercial types.

http://shop.wirelessguys.com/s.nl/c.ACCT69587/sc.2/category.190/.f for
example shows pricing.
Tessco's prices are similar.

Is anyone aware of alternative 900MHz units [surplus, etc] that might with
external antenna [and perhaps external bidir amp] give similar data rates,
and work either unlicensed or part 97, but which are affordable for most
of us hams?

Also, in terms of using 900MHz under part 15 unlicensed, it looks to me
like antennas on that band for unlicensed use are limited to 6 dBi omni
with no provision for higher gain antennas such as is made for 2.4 GHz,
etc [and no power derating chart].  See
http://www.qsl.net/kb9mwr/projects/wireless/pwr.html and daughter pages.

Am I right about how I am reading the Part 15 rules for 900 MHz?

Thanks in advance,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ

--