[Ham-80211] Re: Motorola 900 MHz Canopy Broadband Radio

Brian Webster bwebster at wirelessmapping.com
Sun Aug 29 13:14:28 UTC 2004

Right now the Canopy 900mhz stuff is a little more expensive than their
other bands. I will tell you that the power and receiver specs are great.
You can get the radios with external N-type connectors which gives you a lot
to work with in the line of antennas. If we could operate these under part
97 you could use any antenna you want. There are claims that they have used
the units in a point to point mode up to 70 miles under part 15 rues. If you
plan on using more than 2 units for any type of project you need to also use
some version of their cluster management unit (CMM). The reason for the unit
is that they use a time domain access method or all units to control the
hidden transmitter syndrome. With the CMM they use the GPS network for a
syncronized timing source. All units in the network then have the same sync
and get their own time slot to transmit in while others are held off. With
this system they can overcome a lot of interference that 802.11b systems
can't. I have a commercial client who got the system to link up with a
client unit throught 1.2 miles of dense pine trees. The neat thing about
canopy is the ability to mix and match units form other bands in your
network. This means you could have 900mhz omni sites for user units to
connect and use the 5.7 ghz units to work as an interconnecting backbone
with all the units. The units all interconnect with ethernet and have power
over ethernet built in. This disadvantage is the proprietary format. Which
now that I think of it may not let us operate under part 97 after all
(based on the publicly documented protocol rules). The other drawback is the
requirement for users to buy the canopy subscriber units. If you have a
funding source this could still make a very robust network for emergency
comms in the field. We are considering deploying a network in this fashion
to allow our mobile command vehicle net accesss from anywhere in the county.
Hope this info helps.

Brian, N2KGC