[ham-80211] Re: WEP encryption?

Brian Riley (maillist) n1bq_list at wulfden.org
Sat Jul 24 01:36:12 UTC 2004

Ham satellite command uplinks have been encrypted for years with the FCCs
specific blessing ... all quite legal. The encryption's purpose is not to
"obscure" but to provide security.

In that sense WEP and WPA for that matter are a joke. They demand precious
horsepower from the relatively puny CPU's in the WAPs that they can ill
afford to give up. It would be better to run SSH/SSL and let the big iron on
our laptops and desktops do it with much greater ease. Use of SSH/SSL would
be just as legal as the use of WEP and a damned sight more manageable.

Here in the Burlington, VT area Univ of Vermont runs an enormous (50-75
WAPs) wireless network using this method with great success and pretty good
throughput.