[Ham-80211] Great Book on 802.xx by Ron Olexa

w3sz w3sz at comcast.net
Sat Jul 24 12:18:15 UTC 2004

Hi, Guillame,

If you go to:

http://books.elsevier.com/bookscat/links/details.asp?isbn=0750678089

and click on 'inside NA' or 'outside NA' you will get a page that shows
the topics listed in the table of contents.  I have cut/pasted that list
here.  I didn't check carefully to make sure there were no 'last minute
changes' before publication, but I didn't note any.
-----
Contents

Introduction; High speed Wireless Data standards;
Radio and RF Basics: Receiver, Transmitter, Antennas, Modulation, Shannon
information theory and its effect on receiver sensitivity and EbNo, RF
Channelization,RF Link budget, Acceptable path loss,
Frequency reuse; Propagation basics: Radio wave propagation above 2 GHz,
Multipath and it's effects,
Fading, Terrain and morphological considerations, Line of sight, free
space and non-line of sight paths and their unique effect on path loss and
attenuation; Propagation modeling and measuring:
Simple modeling techniques, Complex computer modeling techniques, Site
surveys and measurement; System Planning: Determine available products,
Determining capacity requirements, Determining coverage requirements,Point
to point,Multipoint Antenna selection and location, Frequency planning,
Interference management,Backhaul,Network requirements, Costs; System
implementation, testing, and optimization: RF planning, Central equipment
(routers, gateways and firewalls), Internet access facilities, Equipment
selection,
Construction, Testing and optimization, Monitoring and management;
Troubleshooting: Coverage holes,
Interference, Area variables, Capacity,Throughput;
Back office systems: Billing,Customer care,Tech support,Trouble ticket
management, Order entry and financial; Software CD: Path loss spreadsheets
designed by Author, Publicly available tools such as Netstumbler and
Kismet, Demo versions from one or more purveyors of commercial computer
propagation analysis tools.
-----

The book is extremely accessible.  I am not an electonics sort.  I am a
clinical cardiologist.  There was nothing in the book I found difficult or
superfluous.  So it should be accessible/easily understood to/by everyone
on this list [except perhaps 'Sam who is out of the office'].

This is a superb, practical resource for anyone who [like me] wants to
implement a wireless network.  In my case, I have set up a 5 mile
point-to-point 802.11g link and I have some performance issues that need
to be dealt with.  Ron's book has given me the information that I need to
have in order to go forward and solve these issues.

Again, I highly recommend it.

I ordered direct from Elsevier, via the web.  Amazon has it listed
incorrectly as 'not yet released', and doesn't have any sample pages.
Elsevier would have to sign up with them for that service.

73,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ