[Ham-80211] Great Book on 802.xx by Ron Olexa

Ron Olexa golexa at charter.net
Sat Jul 24 04:20:21 UTC 2004

>Hi Guillaume and Roger,

First, Roger, thank you for the great first review.  I've been quite
worried about how my first attempt at publishing would be received.  And
Guillaume, thank you for the kind words about my ability to explain
clearly.  I've tried to write the book in the same way.  Don't let the
title scare you, I wrote the book for an audience with no RF
experience.  In working in the wireless data industry, I found that there
were many talented network folks with no RF knowledge at all, and financial
and executive types with NO technical background trying to make business
decisions about implementing a very complex network.  When trying to
implement their systems, what we would consider common RF knowledge was
completely absent, and they had difficulty making the networks work well or
at all.  The book attempts to bring the uninitiated into the RF fold, and
starts with the basics.  It covers Introduction to Wireless data standards,
RF basics, modulation, propagation, fading and propagation calculations and
modelling, system design alternatives, troubleshooting, and back office
systems among other things.

I think the publishing of a few pages on Amazon is a great idea.  I'll call
my editor and see if it can be arranged.  I'll also send a full table of
contents to the list when I get home and settled.

I guess this book is like many projects.  It could be continued forever,
and never say quite everything.  Even now, I wish I'd had a few more
months, because every day brings a new thought I could have included.  I
look forward to comments, both good and bad, so I can do a better job next
time around.

Thanks again, and keep the comments coming...   ron