Order Tray | Contact Us | Home | SIG Lists

[ham-80211] Re: WEP encryption?

Lyle Williams lyle.williams at bigpond.com
Wed Jul 28 19:01:39 UTC 2004



We can't stop unlicenced operators from transmitting on the input frequency
of a 2m repeater either.

We (normally quite effectively) manage 2m FM pirate problems through a
series of weak controls such as:
  -Limited availability of equipment
  -Radiocommunication laws
  -Not engaging in conversations with obvious pirate operators

I wouldn't class WEP/WPA as a "gate without a lock", but a "gate with a
cheap lock".  Sure, someone can pick your lock, but nobody can ACCIDENTALLY
pick your lock.  If you don't make the configuration blunders that instantly
leak your key to the world, even the original WEP requires quite a bit of
captured traffic before a key can be recovered and a pirate can join your
WLAN.

If we configure ham APs carefully, and we control the distribution of
WEP/etc keys (ie don't publish "Our local ham key is 0123456789A" on a
public web site) we will keep 99% of people out.  The other 1% of people we
quickly move onto something else unless we engage them in an online game of
cat-and-mouse.

Lyle Williams
VK1KLW
CCIE #4916



----- Original Message ----- 
From: <dubose at texas.net>
To: "TAPR Mailing List for Ham Radio Use of 802.11"
<ham-80211 at lists.tapr.org>
Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 1:15 AM
Subject: Re: [ham-80211] Re: WEP encryption?


> Technically you need to prevent them from making your 802.l1 device ever
> transmit.  Well you can't do that because of some network issues so the
first
> door you lock is with WEP...that's like a gate with a keep out sign on it
and
> no lock.  Then other steps need to be taken to prevent access to you
network.
> This is where SSH/SSL, etc. come in.
>
> Walt/K5YFW
>
>
> > Running SSH/SSL over a WLAN wouldn't prevent non-amateurs from
transiting
> > across a network that operates under amateur regs...
> >
> > Lyle Williams
> > VK1KLW
> > CCIE #4916
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > ----- Original Message ----- 
> > From: "Brian Riley (maillist)" <n1bq_list at wulfden.org>
> > To: "Amateur 802.11b Mailing List" <ham-80211 at lists.tapr.org>
> > Sent: Saturday, July 24, 2004 11:36 AM
> > Subject: Re: [ham-80211] Re: WEP encryption?
> >
> >
> > > Ham satellite command uplinks have been encrypted for years with the
FCCs
> > > specific blessing ... all quite legal. The encryption's purpose is not
to
> > > "obscure" but to provide security.
> > >
> > > In that sense WEP and WPA for that matter are a joke.They demand
precious
> > > horsepower from the relatively puny CPU's in the WAPs that they can
ill
> > > afford to give up. It would be better to run SSH/SSL and let the big
iron
> > on
> > > our laptops and desktops do it with much greater ease. Use of SSH/SSL
> > would
> > > be just as legal as the use of WEP and a damned sight more manageable.
> > >
> > > Here in the Burlington, VT area Univ of Vermont runs an enormous
(50-75
> > > WAPs) wireless network using this method with great success and pretty
> > good
> > > throughput.
> > >
> > > On 6/23/04 11:53 AM, "Walt DuBose" <dubose at texas.net> wrote:
> > >
> > > > Without getting into details, Gerry and I are quite confident that
> > > > encryption for the purpose of access/authentication control are
> > > > acceptable to the FCC...we just need to sniff out at what level the
FCC
> > > > would be comfortable with.  Additionally, I personally believe that
they
> > > > were concerned with obscuration on frequencies below 2M anyway (this
> > > > from orignal FCC documents fo 30-40 years ago) and perhaps today
only on
> > > > frequencies 900 MHz and up and especially where we share
frequencies.
> > > > In fact, they may not give a hoot if we encrypt or not on the higher
> > > > bands.  But that's just my feeling.
> > >
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > ham-80211 mailing list
> > > ham-80211 at lists.tapr.org
> > > https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ham-80211
> > >
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > ham-80211 mailing list
> > ham-80211 at lists.tapr.org
> > https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ham-80211
> >
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> ham-80211 mailing list
> ham-80211 at lists.tapr.org
> https://lists.tapr.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ham-80211
>





More information about the ham-80211 mailing list