[ham-80211] Re: WEP encryption?

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Wed Jul 28 20:03:56 UTC 2004

At 03:58 PM 7/28/2004, Walt DuBose wrote:
>-Beating the &*(&*^%%$#@ out of them if we catch them (Oh sorry, that's
>just in some parts unknown.)

Oh you mean like Southern California?

>Well, right NOW I think here in the Colonies we might have to "publish"
>the WEP key somewhere whnere hams know it is but not the general public
>but hopefully we can get that changed.

I agree.  This mailing list is one way.  Although the availability of APs
running Linux is increasing, so perhaps in the future we can add custom
(known) extensions that apply to HAMs or shift the frequency into the ham
bands.

Broadcom seems unwilling to provide source code for their driver sets right
now.  That's too bad, otherwise this could've already been a reality.

I do think as long as it isn't open to world+dog, people will for the most
part leave it alone.  Maybe that's just because I'm in Maine though and
people leave their doors unlocked to their houses and no-one messes with
them either.

--Droo, K1XVM