[ham-80211] Re: WEP encryption?

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Wed Jul 28 20:39:20 UTC 2004

Absolutely.. I did e-mail Linksys as well as tell people to buy their
latest gear. I have their WRT54GS because a friend works as a manager in
the retail and got me a deal.  I love that unit with the Sveasoft firmware
(which I also purchased their support for, because it makes things easier
for a variety of applications).

I definitely rather pay money into helping the open source folks.  It's too
bad the Linksys sits here now idle because of a DSL hardware change.  It
will be used for a 1 mile shot later in the year though between here and my
brothers though.  Definitely an improved piece of gear compared to some of
Linksys's earlier garbage.  I think it's the Cisco injection into the company.

It's too bad Broadcom doesn't see things this way.  If people choose to
change the frequency in the radio into bands they're not supposed to,
that's on them.  It's not like they can't be hunted down.  It's nice to
hear Agere feels differently.  Maybe Linksys will use their radios in the
future.  People do keep banging on Broadcom's door for keeping the driver
in binary-only form for all of their radio chipsets.

--Droo, K1XVM