[ham-80211] Re: WEP encryption?

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Sat Jul 31 19:34:33 UTC 2004

Supposedly Broadcom has concerns that people will go into military bands if
they release the driver.  Really I see this as a situation where people
could also buy a Ham radio and irritate public safety by modifying it.

People are going to make illegal use of things if they so choose.  Really
shouldn't ruin moving forward for everyone because of the potential of some
bad apples.

I think that the only reason why the SVEASoft firmware allows for up
through channel 14 is because the broadcom driver probably lets you set the
channels for any country and doesn't have a country lockout in the firmware
itself.  But that is an interesting observation and perhaps something to
keep in mind if we wanted to change the floor at which our Part97 stuff was
operating.

--Droo, K1XVM