[Ham-80211] Access control suggestions

Steven Phillips steven_phillips at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 3 16:37:17 UTC 2004

Here's a thought.  How about we work with major
manufacturers such as Icom (who already has wifi
products), yaesue, kenwood, etc. to get them to
produce a ham radio specific WiFi solution.  The
technology would be identical to existing products.
Only difference would be is setting the RF equipment
to work on ham radio frequences that do not fall on
the shared part 15 frequencies.  If they contracted
with companies such as Orinoco, Linksys, Cisco and
other wifi producers, there would be very little
startup costs.  Just  a matter of firmware
modification (I think) to use ham specific frequences.
 If that could happen, then we would not have to worry
about the mixup between part 15 and part 97 users.

IF they can do this for under $50, even under $100, I
could jump out and buy one.

Thoughts?