[Ham-80211] Access control suggestions

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Thu Nov 4 15:19:24 UTC 2004

My concern is that the FCC is going to largely keep hacking away at our
spectrum in that mid-2ghz spectrum and then we couldn't do that anymore.  I
don't have a lot of faith in using those allocations solely because the
current FCC seems to be on a tangent of commercial interest.  I'm hoping
they'll be making some changes there and perhaps many amateur-radio related
issues will take different turns.

I don't think they're going to kick all the Part 15ers off the current
block that is used for 802.11b/g.. So I think we're safer finding ways to
adhere access control within the existing footprint at the moment.  It's
largely easier to co-habitate with the masses than put ourselves in a
position where we can lose the allocation where our hill-top gear is.

That's purely my thought though.  I agree, like you seem to, that using
higher frequency allocations would be nice but we'd have to contend with
other issues.  Cost seems to be the largest issue.  We'll go around trees,
use mountains, etc. to overcome obstructions, but we've never been able to
easily get over the hurdle of the dollar.   I'm hoping as the components
become cheaper, perhaps we'll have better opportunity to explore.  However,
that also means other unlicensed folks could easily do the
same.  Otherwise, they'd simply give us a software tool and let us tweak
the frequencies on the WiFi radios for our purpose.

Maybe someone (such as K5YFW) can set my mind at ease about my concerns.  :-)

--Droo, K1XVM