[Ham-80211] Access control suggestions

Guillaume Filion gfk at logidac.com
Thu Nov 4 16:34:31 UTC 2004

"Steven Phillips" <steven_phillips at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Here's a thought.  How about we work with major
> manufacturers such as Icom (who already has wifi
> products), yaesue, kenwood, etc. to get them to
> produce a ham radio specific WiFi solution.  The
> technology would be identical to existing products.
> Only difference would be is setting the RF equipment
> to work on ham radio frequences that do not fall on
> the shared part 15 frequencies.  If they contracted
> with companies such as Orinoco, Linksys, Cisco and
> other wifi producers, there would be very little
> startup costs.  Just  a matter of firmware
> modification (I think) to use ham specific frequences.
>  If that could happen, then we would not have to worry
> about the mixup between part 15 and part 97 users.
> IF they can do this for under $50, even under $100, I
> could jump out and buy one.

I read an interesting article (http://kerneltrap.org/node/view/4118) about
adding support for most wireless cards to the open-source operating system

Here's the part of the article that sparked my interest:
Jeremy Andrews: What exactly do you hope to accomplish with the wireless
vendors, and how quickly?
Theo de Raadt: Well, the four large vendors in the wireless space are
currently Intel, TI, Conexant/Intersil (Prism G/Javelin) and Atheros. The
first three need firmware. The Atheros does not require a firmware since it
does not have a host cpu (instead: it requires a .o object blob of code that
runs on the host machine, but reverse enginering for that is very nearly

If I'm not mistaken, that means that the reverse engineering of the Atheros
"firmware" is almost complete.

The files in questions can get seen at: