[Ham-80211] Access control suggestions

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Thu Nov 4 16:44:29 UTC 2004

Drew Baxter wrote:
> That's purely my thought though.  I agree, like you seem to, that using
> higher frequency allocations would be nice but we'd have to contend with
> other issues.  Cost seems to be the largest issue.  We'll go around
> trees, use mountains, etc. to overcome obstructions, but we've never
> been able to easily get over the hurdle of the dollar.   I'm hoping as
> the components become cheaper, perhaps we'll have better opportunity to
> explore.  However, that also means other unlicensed folks could easily
> do the same.  Otherwise, they'd simply give us a software tool and let
> us tweak the frequencies on the WiFi radios for our purpose.

I think you nailed it in one.  Cost is a huge driver for anything in
amateur radio.  Personally, since we have such a lousy footprint on the
ground, I really think we should be heading lower in frequency.  Which
would allow us greater coverage per station which in turn would allow
for easier network construction.

I would propose an STA which would allow us to use television channels
idled for protection for distant stations.  For example here in the
Boston area, we could use Channel 3, 6, 13.  Other regions have similar
spectrum availability.  So with a transverter, we could run wifi radios
in VHF spectrum, get the coverage we need, which would attract some
number of technologically literate folks to our hobby.

alternatively, give up on using wifi gear at VHF levels and use a very
wideband version of soundcard plus a simple transverter to build a
digital radio.  Costs may not be really where we want it to be but it
would probably be cheaper than some of earlier high-speed packet attempts

---eric

--
George Bush makes me long for the honesty of Richard Nixon