[Ham-80211] Access control suggestions

dubose at texas.net dubose at texas.net
Thu Nov 4 17:12:33 UTC 2004

> Drew Baxter wrote:
> > That's purely my thought though.  I agree, like you seem to, that using
> > higher frequency allocations would be nice but we'd have to contend with
> > other issues.  Cost seems to be the largest issue.  We'll go around
> > trees, use mountains, etc. to overcome obstructions, but we've never
> > been able to easily get over the hurdle of the dollar.   I'm hoping as
> > the components become cheaper, perhaps we'll have better opportunity to
> > explore.  However, that also means other unlicensed folks could easily
> > do the same.  Otherwise, they'd simply give us a software tool and let
> > us tweak the frequencies on the WiFi radios for our purpose.
>
> I think you nailed it in one.  Cost is a huge driver for anything in
> amateur radio.  Personally, since we have such a lousy footprint on the
> ground, I really think we should be heading lower in frequency.  Which
> would allow us greater coverage per station which in turn would allow
> for easier network construction.
>
> I would propose an STA which would allow us to use television channels
> idled for protection for distant stations.  For example here in the
> Boston area, we could use Channel 3, 6, 13.  Other regions have similar
> spectrum availability.  So with a transverter, we could run wifi radios
> in VHF spectrum, get the coverage we need, which would attract some
> number of technologically literate folks to our hobby.
>
> alternatively, give up on using wifi gear at VHF levels and use a very
> wideband version of soundcard plus a simple transverter to build a
> digital radio.  Costs may not be really where we want it to be but it
> would probably be cheaper than some of earlier high-speed packet attempts
>
> ---eric

Coverting 802.11b Channel 7 to the 900 MHz band (as is done by one vendor) is
VERY interesting.  I don't know now the noise level is on 900 MHz in you area,
but for cross-country links across rural areas might be very interesting...and
900 MHz amplifiers and separate transmit and receive antennas are an interesting
prospect.

Walt/K5YFW