[Ham-80211] Access control suggestions

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Thu Nov 4 17:29:50 UTC 2004

Hi Marlon:

My large concern was things such as the reallocation in the 2ghz spectrum
for '3G' wireless services which resulted in some fragmenting in the upper
2.3ghz spectrum.  It seems to me that allocations that were used for
amateur radio use and research, are being chipped away at for private
entities.  I have nothing wrong with the public having use of more spectrum
for their projects.  As a matter of fact, I prefer that and see that
(similar to how you seem to) it will help trigger research and projects in
larger numbers than solely Ham use of that same spectrum.  I'm under the
impression that '3G' means private cellular services of the same
name.  Correct me if I'm wrong here.

I feel that the existing Part 15 spectrum allocations are largely already
present but the reallocation into private spectrum seems to be
happening.  I don't feel this is good for the public, or for amateur radio
operators.  I meant 'our' in the public sense, as much as  the primary
allocations of Amateur radio operators.  Rest assured that I rather work
within the boundaries of Part 15 vs working within Part 97 any day when it
comes to working with data.  There are not enough amateur radio operators
to justify cheap wireless network hardware.  I think we'll see further
blending in the landscape between the unlicensed and the license users in
this regard.

I do understand your issues with empty TV allocations in your area.  It is
similar here in Maine, and I am a Dish Network customer as well (after the
other carrier sued me without success earlier this year).  Personally, I
find it a problem that I can't buy NY/LA market locals, even though
reception of local channels is either impossible or difficult
here.  Ignoring that entirely - These analog allocations will be shifted as
there is a move to Terrestrial HDTV as well, so something should be done
with those VHF allocations.

I just want to be clear that I am of interest in amateur radio use as much
as public use of the frequencies.  I think that the public gets the raw
deal compared to private entities however.  I also feel that the amateur
radio service continues to get overlooked because of entities buying up
allocations.  That issue is of my concern.  I'd rather see public
unlicensed allocations compared to private commercial allocations any day.

I hope I cleared that up.  It does seem that you have a vivid picture of
the problem at hand.  I think that microwave Wi-Fi solutions are a better
approach to the ever growing need for High Speed Internet Access in rural
areas, especially compared to BPL.  BPL will definitely corrupt the 2-80mhz
piece of spectrum for everyone, while Wi-Fi has largely improved the
ability to expand network access for the individual and the business alike.

I was an American long before I was a Ham.  Co-habitation between Hams and
unlicensed users has worked out well for both groups I think with the
2.4ghz spectrum.  I just hope we have more opportunities in the future to
continue our own individual research instead of selling off spectrum to
commercial entities.

I hope that brings clarity to my thoughts.  I have a better idea of yours
as well.

--Droo, K1XVM