[Ham-80211] Access control suggestions

Steven Phillips steven_phillips at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 18:49:16 UTC 2004

I have decided to use this topic as a research project
for my sociology class.  Here's a question that I have
come up with.

In my opinion, one of the major uses of this type of
system would be for emergency use in disaster
situations.  With the exception of long range
communciation, is really necessary to use WiFi under
part 97?  What I"m getting at, is this.  In the event
of a natural disaster, a small and portable network
infrastructure would be created to accomodate
communcations of various types, be it text, video,
data, what ever.    In such a small network
configuration, wouldn't it be an advantage to do this
under part 15?  If it is done under part 15, then
personally from the Red Cross who are not hams would
have direct access to communicating with other field
locations or personell.  Granted, this leaves the
possibilit of eliminating the need for Hams to conduct
emergency communications, or does it?  We could still
handle all of the communications, and just give access
to status report information to non hams.  This could
be done by having a small web server with customized
PHP software to generate the reports.  Non hams from
the Red Cross could send a message to the ham in
control at the time who would in turn use what ever
means necessary to convey the message to the recipient
via standard radio communication or via the network.
A system like this would leave hams in charge of the
communication, after all we are "trained experts" and
have a very well established communication
infrastructer for such events.

Ok, what about a dual zone network?  One zone for part
15 so Red Cross personell can relay messages to the
hams.  The hams then relay the messages through the
second zone under part 97 to other field locations or
HQ?  Then the other locations would relay messages
back through their local part 15 network?

I think this type of setup would be a resonable effort
to limit unauthorized access.  Since the long range
links would be part 97, we could use high gain
parabolic dishes.  Everyone should know that parabolic
dishes are rather directional and would minimize the
opportunity for others in a given radius to access the
ntwork.  Throw 128bit WEP using the ARRL standard keys
and you would have a fairly secure network.  Having
local sites under part 15 would eliminate the
encryption laws under part 97, so, any WEP key could
be used to super secure the local network from outside
access.

Sheesh I'm long winded.  If any clarification is
needed, please let me know.

Steve