[Ham-80211] Access control suggestions

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Thu Nov 4 19:00:40 UTC 2004

At 01:08 PM 11/4/2004, Jeff King wrote:
>Droo:
>
>Your likely right. Until (U.S.) hams realize the cold war is over and you're
>allowed to have fun with ham radio, we are going to be a target. Wally and
>Beaver are nearing retirement age. But hey, last I heard Eddy Haskell was a
>cop, so stranger things have happened  ;-)

I agree that largely the hams are afraid of having to change the way they
do things or be 'shut out' and that prevents progression, at the same time
we have a lot of unused 'workspace' purely because of the fact that there
are a few hams that still use those segments instead of moving down or up a
little so we have a good chunk of space to work.

These are the same individuals that balk at licensing changes within the
ARS to go with the times.  Many of those individuals would have no qualms
with the ARS virtually dying when the majority stop working the bands or go SK.

 >IMHO the ball and chain around amateur radio is not the FCC, but it is our
>own fellow hams. As I have said for years, we are our own worst enemy. If we
>create a vibrant market for amateur radio (such as embracing the Part 15
>community networking movement) all of a sudden >we< become a commercial
>interest. This is good.  Closing the gate after the last ham enters is not
>going to work anymore.

I agree in part.  I do think the FCC could definitely put a damper on
things, even if solely because they have failed to address the many
comments on a variety of topics (such as licensing changes, mode changes in
bands, and especially BPL).  I do also agree that change and amateur radio
seem to not go hand in hand (anymore).  Because of that, we end up with a
lot of people that can't embrace digital technology or permit modes to be
removed or changed in certain segments not because it will hamper the
service, but because a vocal group fear change.

So I guess we have FCC reallocating for commercial use + Old fart hams vs
New willing-to-experiment hams and the unlicensed.  I wonder who's going to
win that battle..

Ironically, my grandfather, WA1JTE is most definitely an older individual
but he does believe in change in the ARS.  Maybe the group of vocal
individuals is not so big as they are loud.

The FCC will take away and reallocate anything we don't use.  I think that
is an important thing to keep in mind.

--Droo, K1XVM