[Ham-80211] Access control suggestions

Steven Phillips steven_phillips at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 4 19:37:20 UTC 2004

If we want this to work then here's a course of action
that I think would be a good starting point.

1 - Forget about which of the regulations to operate
under.

2 - Devlope a "backbone" to the system.  This would
consist of central servers located at central command
centers.  In the event of Red Cross activities, a good
location would be the local Red Cross HQ.

3 - Develop a small, portable and easily configurable
network infrastructure for field locations such as
shelters.  This network would consist of a small
server running a web server, mail server, ftp server,
and PHP applications to handle communications,
bulletines, anything we can think of that pertains to
the local site.  Of course, all of this ifnformation
would have to be stored in a database.  The HQ
permanent server would host this database.

4 - Local field sites would operate under part 15.
Network links between sites would operate under part
97.  This would allow local staff to communicate with
eachoter as needed.  Communication that needs to go to
ther sites would be relaed via the local server to the
local hams.  They would then foward the information
over the site link to the necessary site.  The
receiving site would then relay the message over their
local network to the final destination.

5 - Utilizing technology such as openH323 would allow
for voice and video communications.  Persons with a
handheld computer and a wireless card could send live
video feed of disaster areas for damage assessment.
Communication between non hams at different sites
would fall under standard 3rd party communications
over the Part 97 Backbone.

Back to the Database.  Site servers would contain
information for the local site.  That information
could then be relayed to a central database at HQ for
permanent storage.  This would be a necessary step to
prevent information being sent by non hams over the
part 97 "backbone."  The database relay would be
manually activiated by a Ham on duty.

So, there's a rough idea of what I'm thinking of.