[Ham-80211] Access control suggestions

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Thu Nov 4 20:10:55 UTC 2004

dubose at texas.net wrote:
>>If we want this to work then here's a course of action
>>that I think would be a good starting point.
>>
>>1 - Forget about which of the regulations to operate
>>under.
>>
>>2 - Devlope a "backbone" to the system.  This would
>>consist of central servers located at central command
>>centers.  In the event of Red Cross activities, a good
>>location would be the local Red Cross HQ.
>>

> Your assumption is that the Red Cross is the HQ of emergency communications and
> disaster plans.  However, while this might have been true a number of years ago,
> today the Red Cross is a user of ARES/ham emergency communications just as are
> local governments and other disaster relief organizations.  One should work with
> the local emergency manager to see what emergency communications are needed.

I just want to second what Walters saying here.  Look at what your
customer needs to new and build from there.  I cannot guarantee you, it
will not involve anything even vaguely resembling an IT department.
they need systems that can be set up and operated by any fumble fingered
fireman or policeman.  do you think it's by accident that many police
and fire radios are have virtually no controls?  When they are in the
middle of the disaster, they are not thinking anything about their radio
except as a tool to help them communicate.  The same should be true
about our infrastructure.  It's a tool to help our customer get the job
done.  Nothing more, nothing less.  If it starts serving our egos, we
lose and lose big-time.

so Web servers and php and other little IT toys designed to keep admins
employed really don't serve the needs of our customers.  talk to your
emergency management folks can find out what they really need.  It's the
only way to move forward.

---eric

--
George Bush makes me long for the honesty of Richard Nixon