[Ham-80211] Access control suggestions

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.org
Thu Nov 4 22:21:53 UTC 2004

Steven Phillips wrote:
> The reason for PHP is it's extreme flexibility between
> platforms.

php is the sendmail of the web set.  At least from a security
perspective.  I swear it looks like it was written by Microsoft.

  There are MANY ready to go PHP
> applications on the freeware market that can handle
> communcation needs.

in the course of my consulting, I have had the misfortune of
encountering many PHP based applications.  I say misfortune because
installation never goes smoothly, the code is frequently lacking in
functionality and is usually a good example of what not to use.  One
application suite I would definitely recommend everyone stay away from
is horde.  A counterexample is squirlemail.  Relatively easy to get
working but just forget about the extensions.  They follow the PHP sucks
rule.

> If you look at the open source
> market for voice over ip and video, the applications
> are awkward at best to use (atleast in my opinion).

I agree wholeheartedly.  usability must be one of the primary focuses

> When it comes to the "customer" as you guys put it,
> they all want one thing.  A means of communicating
> information to and from disaster areas and shelters.
> Using a LAN/WAN type setup would greatly expedite the
> passing of messagaes.  When I helped with the Hayman
> fire, there were times I spent 10 to 15 minutes
> walking around trying to locate someone to relay a
> message.

this is good input as to what some of the experiences/needs are.

any chance of someone putting up moinmoin wiki so we can start
collecting this kind of information?

---eric

--
George Bush makes me long for the honesty of Richard Nixon