Fw: [WISPA] Fw: [Ham-80211] Access control suggestions

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Fri Nov 5 17:01:46 UTC 2004

BPL isn't a negotiable situation where people can just decide to 'share'
the frequency.  A chunk of property at 2.4ghz is less of significance than
the people that are trying to do low-power work on the 2-80mhz HF
chunk.  The signal goes a lot further and penetrates a lot more places in
the HF than up in microwave allocations.  It's probably still relatively
easy to find 80mhz of continuous bandwidth up in the microwave allocations
too.  That 2-80mhz spectrum is prime real-estate for transcontinental
communications.  I don't think residential Internet needs it, and it's a
bad use of spectrum.

I think WIFI and MANs in the upper allocations are the way to get fast
network access to rural areas.  As a matter of fact, I'd love some
free-for-all high speed wireless solutions in the 900mhz.  There has been a
long issue of obstructions preventing network access for everyone.  This
would be a proper way to give the public more options.

I think these people experimenting with WIFI hardware will perhaps have
interest in becoming ham operators and exploring radio technology outside
the scope of off-the-shelf solutions.  The 'free for all' should have
limits, however, and realism should be weighed.  I don't think the current
wave of the FCC has much interest in the public and would sell every single
allocation if they could.

The frequency use has to match the job you're trying to accomplish.  2.4ghz
and 900mhz largely works because it permits cohabitation because of small
directional footprints as well as more available continuous spectrum
chunks.  Stuffing these things on far-reaching frequency allocations is not
the solution, it's the start of a problem.

Just my thoughts.

--Droo, K1XVM