Fw: [WISPA] Fw: [Ham-80211] Access control suggestions

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Fri Nov 5 19:04:32 UTC 2004

At 12:46 PM 11/5/2004, dubose at texas.net wrote:
>I'm just sorry that power companies and the government didn't push for fiber
>along side each power line...you could have telephone, HDTV, highspeed
>Internet,
>and many future expanded services.

I agree.

>If what I see is true in the local area, some telephone companies are
>replacing
>their copper with fiber and new telecommunications are putting in fiber in
>rural
>areas.

Verizon (my local carrier) is right into doing this so they can offer high
speed data to more customers.  SBC is also intending to provide their own
TV programming over their service as they roll it out and turn their
SBC-DishNetwork customers.

>IMHO, using Part 15 WiFi for commercial distribution of Internet services is
>much like companies building their 2-way commercial radio systems on 11 meter
>CB...in the end it just isn't good enough to solve the problem.  Today you see
>few businesses using 11 meter CB as a business radio...I believe that in a few
>years you will see the same happening with commercial distribution of Internet
>services using Part 15 equipment.
>
>The 11 meter CB experimant failed and took away a great band from amateru
>radio
>operators.  I am glad that at least we still have 2.4-2.45 GHz so that when
>commercial use of the band fails, at least we will still have the frequencies.

I appreciate the fact we can dabble in both the Ham band and the Part 15
band.  That way if that condition does happen, we have somewhere to go.  I
do wish that we could move the radios by software upward
though.  Unfortunately the amount of people that would illegally operate
their units on licensed frequencies without permission would outweigh the
problem.

I'm sure there would be some way that this could be done though.  Maybe
we'll find a company that is willing to work with us.  There are some
situations where we as Hams might not want to co-habitate with unlicensed
users.

--Droo, K1XVM