Fw: [WISPA] Fw: [Ham-80211] Access control suggestions

jeff at aerodata.net jeff at aerodata.net
Fri Nov 5 19:39:50 UTC 2004

Brian:

I assure you I "do have a clue" how much spectrum is worth. That is why
earlier in this thread I commented ham radio had to become relevent to
today's world, the cold war was over, Beaver and Wally had retired and ham
radio had to become commerically viable, much like Part 15 has become.
This is why I have always said their is alot of synergy between the part
15 community wireless movement and ham radio. Ham radio has to generate
value for the country, and since it can't do it directly in spectrum
sales, it has to do it indirectly through equipment sales (and other
value) just like Part 15 does. It also can generate value by being a
emergency service and advancing the state of the art. But to do this, we
(as in hams) have to drag the service kicking and screaming into the 90's.

That much being said, I do like you idea of opening the bands up and smart
radios. TAPR aka Greg Jones was a very big advocate of this, and I feel
that it would bring the most value to the table. Last I heard, the WISP
"700 mhz" proposal also used smart radios to check to see if the channel
was occupied.

The biggest resistance here is going to be the vested interests, ones that
purchased spectrum in the past. There is SO much underutilized spectrum
that something will have to be done soon

Best regards,

Thanks

Jeff King wb8wka
WISP consultant, MERIT networks, MichNet and MICH.COM (~1995-1997)
Broadcast engineer/RF consultant (20 years)
Firmware engineer (10 years)
And just finished up a part 15 certfication of a 802.11b client device
that I designed.