Fw: [WISPA] Fw: [Ham-80211] Access control suggestions

jeff at aerodata.net jeff at aerodata.net
Fri Nov 5 20:01:12 UTC 2004

Walt:

Your analogy is close, but not perfect. CB has significant foot print and
"skip" where as WiFi doesn't. A better analogy would be the VHF dot
frequencies (151mhz range) that are highly congested in urban areas, yet
quite useful in rural areas. I use some of the dot frequencies (MURS) in
my car, and can easily get 5+ mile range with no interference in my rural
area yet in a urban area, my range is far less.

So, what I am saying, is WiFi can be a viable internet distribution method
in certain conditions.

Still.... the majority of my WISP consulting was done in a urban area,
back when 28.8 was the high speed. So we did Wireless mostly for
backbones... not for the customers. Point to point engineering links.
These people loved internet and technology but still where good business
people.

Fast forward to the future.. I moved to a rural area and when two WISP's
started, I tried to do some consulting for them. However, they knew
everything. For their range maps, they preferred perfectly round circles
instead of my ragged propagation study I did on Radio Mobile. When I
suggested they would be better served with sector antennas on their 200
foot tower instead of amp'ed 12db omni's, I got blank looks. So I backed
off. Then when I wanted to get off directway, I had one of them out for
service. Seems their towers where only in the center of small cities, both
of which had DSL and Cable modems. The noise level was so high we couldn't
get a good connection (I had their AP at a 15 DB S/N at 5.5megabit but
they only had me at 1-2db S/N. We where using smartbridges.

Point being, at least where I am, the WISP's are NOT going after the low
hanging fruit (underserved rural areas) but focusing on small cites that
already have cable/dsl. These are either 2nd or 3rd generation WISP's and
I don't think they understand the technical issues like the 1st generation
WISP's do. There is no love for radio or technlogy, just a businessman
trying to turn a buck. I think they can't see the forest through the trees
and are only looking at the population per square mile as opposed to
underserved areas.

BTW, I meet with our local power company on the BPL issue. They said it
wouldn't scale in our rural area. BPL mostly intended for dense urban
areas, at least that was their thought

73

JEff