Fw: [WISPA] Fw: [Ham-80211] Access control suggestions

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Fri Nov 5 20:32:06 UTC 2004

At 03:27 PM 11/5/2004, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
 >unfortunately, you are only going to have a duopoly of services
(Comcast/Verizon) which isn't really competition as we found out with the
early days of
 >the cellular phone market.  expect a significant period of technical
stagnation except for what the open source community manages to implement
 >around restrictions implemented by the Comcast/Verizon
you-do-what-we-tell-you AUP's.

I'm a Great Works Internet user, 3000/768 for 29.95 a month for
DSL.  Comcast doesn't exist here, you're thinking 'Adelphia'.  Verizon has
no rules about servers or how you use their service which makes it quite
different than Comcast any day.  They also don't block ports.  I think
Verizon is very flexible in their "As long as you don't do anything
illegal" AUP.  Meanwhile Comcast has data transfer rules where they can cut
you off for downloading or uploading too much.

Cable Internet technology is much more finite than DSL is as far as
bandwidth goes.  The problem is, DSL's availability is much less, except
here in Maine where Cable is not available to a large population.

--Droo, K1XVM