Fw: [WISPA] Fw: [Ham-80211] Access control suggestions

Drew Baxter droobie at maine.rr.com
Fri Nov 5 21:04:29 UTC 2004

At 03:48 PM 11/5/2004, Eric S. Johansson wrote:
>very good points.  Unfortunately down here in Massachusetts (last I looked
>which was about six months ago), Verizon was one of the more restrictive
>service providers with only 128k up and a consume only port blocking mentality.
>
>it sounds like you are not actually using Verizon for anything except
>transport which means your Internet service provider is the one who sets
>policy.  For example in my case, I use speakeasy over WorldCom.  Again
>same great no restrictions type AUP.

Actually of the two ports we have in Bangor, one was Verizon DSL for 3
years and is now switched to GWI.net solely because of the speed
factor.  Verizon claimed 768/128 was the fastest available because of
distance, which is false.  Verizon doesn't port block or restrict anything
in this area, I know for sure.

Speakeasy is great, unfortunately most of where my friends are and where I
am are not served by it.   GWI offers 8000/1000 service for 49.95, but my
distance rules that out.  They largely leave me alone and I have the K1XVM
IGate and my primary servers (mail.1-x.net, etc.) sitting here on it.

>the only reason you get to purchase service from another ISP over verizon
>lines is because of the telecommunications act of 1996.  This privilege is
>going away sometime next few years unless (I think) the service provider
>also offers telephone service which is why speakeasy is now offering QOS
>enabled VoIP.

Correct.  However here in Maine I suspect they'll keep things open to
competition because the PUC will slap them around.  Maine is a funny state
like that and GWI is a Maine-based Internet carrier.   Verizon will
probably increase the cost a few bucks per circuit.  I'd still rather buy
Internet from the Telco than from the Power Company here.  We're
subsidizing the costs of a huge Natural Gas company and pipeline they own
while their competitor in the other part of the state continues to lower costs.

>thanks to our friends in FCC land, this option will not be available to
>you with fiber.  The rest of the world is sharing telecommunications
>infrastructure for last mile.  Deutsche Telecom rents copper at 12 bucks a
>month U.S. and makes money. Verizon rents it at closer to 25-30 per month
>in claims to be losing money.  Given that we have lower cost structures,
>I'm more than a little suspicious.  The information source by the way was
>the dsl prime.  dave3 at dslprime.com   put "subscribe" in the subject, and
>you'll be added free. it's a great newsletter for keeping you up on the
>state of the world in dsl telecom.

The costs of things like unlimited long distance and the low cost long
distance has also fractured the market.  I think that we're paying high
money for copper because we're subsidizing Verizon Wireless, which
continues to rarely make any solid amount of money but continues to add new
features.  I don't think Verizon's going home hungry by any means, but I do
think their customers are paying for their other ventures namely in the
wireless industry.

--Droo, K1XVM