Fw: [WISPA] Fw: [Ham-80211] Access control suggestions

Marlon Schafer (509-982-2181) ooe at odessaoffice.com
Fri Nov 12 16:10:19 UTC 2004

Hmmmm.  Who's ron at wispa.org????  Strange.

Oh well, answers below.
Marlon
64.146.146.12 (net meeting)
www.odessaoffice.com/wireless
www.odessaoffice.com/marlon/cam

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeff King" <jeff at aerodata.net>
To: <Ron at wispa.org>
Cc: "Conversations over a new WISP Trade Organization" <wireless at wispa.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 11, 2004 11:00 AM
Subject: Re: Fw: [WISPA] Fw: [Ham-80211] Access control suggestions

> Hi Marlon:

Dude!
grin

> I'm not sure I called them "clueless" just not how I would run the
business.

Nope.  *I* called them clueless.  That's a good term for operators that
obviously haven't figured out the easy ways to do things via experience or
(duh) asking others that have already built wisps.

>  What I would do (and I did when I moved here) was ask a realtor to map
out
> all the affluent residential areas as well as industrial parks. Then
locate
> the telephone CO's as well as the cable companies. See what overlaps and
what
> doesn't. Then initially target the non-overlapping areas. From what I have
> seen, both WISP's in my area are to a large degree overlapping in this
> regard.

Hmmmm.  That's an interesting way to look at it.  By and large most people
who start up wisps simply have an area that has no service that they'd like
to cover.  If that also covers areas that do have service, oh well, maybe
they'll get some business from there too.  Here's the thing, unlike wireline
based distribution systems it often costs $0,000,000.00 (not a typo :-)
extra to service an area near your targeted zone.

Also, in areas that already have service, a wisp can be very price
competitive.  If a guy want's to be the low price company (NOT something
that I recommend but it's being done out there) a wisp is the best way to do
so.

> That much being said, this conversation has peaked my interest. But like I
> also said.. customer service. How do you deal with customer support? Calls
at
> midnight or calls expecting you to fix someones outdated Windows 95
system?

Service labor.....

My job is to drop the internet at the door.  If they have computer problems
that's their problem not mine.  Having said that we often help people with
computer problems.  It's amazing how fast they learn to fix things
themselves when we bill them at $125 per hour.  They NEVER pay the whole
bill, I let them pick their hours.  I know that spending $500 to $800 to fix
a pc is not something most people can justify.  They usually pay $250ish
though.  I think we're going to change our program though.  Gonna make a new
program for pc repair though.  The other local guys seem to regularly piss
people off (sloppy looking, bad breath, not getting it right the first time
etc., too bad too they are nice folks) so I guess it's up to us (again) to
step up to the plate and get the job done.

> You might be right. I was particularly interested in your statement in a
> message to Eric in which you said:
>
> "At 100 subs the average wisp should be putting $2,000 to $4,000 in the
bank
> every month."
>
> I'd have to own 4+ duplexes (10 units-- rental properties) to be able to
do
> this in my area, which would tie up $250k+ in capital. Granted, with the
> cheap money floating around I'd not need much equity, but still with
$20-$30K
> of seed money, I should be able to put together a start of a WISP, I'd
think.

Here's one of the hardest things about helping folks get started when they
are used to more traditional businesses.

Why, on God's green earth, would you need to own rental properties???????
Where did THAT come from?  lol  You don't need buildings you need internet
users!

OK, here are a couple of examples.

Very small local community:
1 broadcast site that sees locations without broadband (any number but at
least 200 is better).
1 business grade dsl or wireless connection to the internet within 10 to 15
miles (best is 5 or less) that sees the broadcast location. $100 to $300 per
month.
1 wifi based backhaul system (2 to 4 megs of throughput) $800 to $1200
depending on quality and antennas.
1 wifi based distribution system.  $500 to 1500 depending on quality and
size of coverage zone.
1 dsl router.  $50 to $500 depending on quality and customers to be
serviced.
1 battery backup, business license, cables, tools etc.  $200 to $1000
depending on what you do or don't already have.
1 billing system.  $0 to $lots.  Nothing for something that you write out by
hand, $200ish for QuickBooks (what we use), more for programs designed just
for this.
1 to 2 broadcast sites (one where dsl is, one where you will distribute
from).  $0 (we trade for service) to $200ish per month.  I'd not pay more
than that for rent in most cases.
0 servers.  (maybe a local one for dns just to help speed things up)

So from about $1600 to $5000 (average is $2500 to $5000) you can be a
community wisp.
At a montly cost of $450 or so (includes payback of equipment in 36 months)
you'd need 15 $30 per month customers to break even.  If you can get $50
that drops to 9!

At 100 subs you'll bring in $3000 to $5000.  By now you'll have better
insurance, better hardware, probably a better connection etc. so your
monthly cost will likely be in the $500 to $2000 range (includes money for
new equipment and t-1 access).  Not enough for most of us to retire on but
better than most are putting in the bank now.  Or how about mom being able
to stay home with the kids and still keep the nice house, new car and boat?

For amore dense deployment (hundreds of likely customers instead of 50 to
100) ramp that up by 50% to 100% per 100 subs (depends on what level of
service you'll give, number of broadcast locations etc.).

These are very rough numbers.  I've seen it done for less and for MUCH more
than even your estimate.  Depends on how creative the operator is and how
long he can wait to get his investment back.

> Hmm.... you do consulting? Maybe we should talk.

I'd love to help!  Here's how you should decide if you should hire some help
or learn by destruction.

Take your realistic income expecations 12 months from when you light the
fuse.  Multiply by 2.  If that exedes the cost of a consultant, hire one.
If not, learn by doing.  Either way, pick a knowledgeable vendor that can
give you HONEST advice on products and methods.  And spend time on wisp
support email lists.

It'll take the average guy 6ish months to really get his network running
nicely.  A good consultant *should* shave 4 to 6 months off of that time.
So a consultant should make you 2x what he costs in that first year or he's
not worth bringing in.

I'm $1000 per day plus travel and lodging.  We arm wrestle over meals.
Steak, you buy.  Burgers, I'll buy.  LOL

Hope that helps!
marlon