[Ham-80211] Why? (was Handoff between access point? )

Alex Fraser beatnic at comcast.net
Wed Nov 24 14:43:03 UTC 2004

Possible technically, but not doable at this time by hams.  I don't
think this is done by any part 15 groups either.   You would have to
jump through some hoops to do it commercially, profit might be a problem!
    Technical of course is one issue, but political is another not often
discussed.  Who would set up this network? Would it be an existing club?
Or perhaps an association of clubs? Would a new department of the local
repeater coordinating committee be needed?  Spontaneous small
associations of  experimenters might be able to do a network locally,
but would have to evolve to meet the manning requirements of a larger
network. BTW I do think a small group could do it, but of course not for
any length of time. Do you think a small spark could start a prairie fire?
    One asset hams have and I have not seen discussed is the
organisation we already have. In many ways we are playing catch up in
radio networking, but we are way ahead in not for profit social
structure.  The ability to run a ham fest to fund a years worth of
projects or to actually collect yearly dues is amazing.  We are also
organized nationally.
    In most instances when I promote HSMM to hams the question I get is
not how, but why? We must approach the construction of networks as a
social problem.