[Ham-80211] Why? (was Handoff between access point? )

Larry Cerney lcerney at viawest.net
Wed Nov 24 16:14:20 UTC 2004

Carl,

It is doable, technically.  A citywide network would need multiple access
points spread throughout the city.  They must all be aware of their
neighbors in the network and in its simplest form be on the same subnet.  If
they are all on the same subnet, the mobile could retain the same IP address
across the city.

Each AP would need connection to the internet via some sort of VPN to go
back to a central hub subnet.

Another way would be to build a mesh network in which AP's work together to
pass data wirelessly back to a central hub.  The problem with doing this is
as the data moves to the hub it is concentrated with data from other AP and
this reduces the effective bandwidth of the network.  This might not be
critical if your only downloading email, but could bring down a network if
you kid in the back seat is watching Lord of the Rings via the internet or
down loading LL Cool J's latest CD. ;-)

Do a Google search on Wireless Distribution Service or WDS which will
explain how AP's can work together to pass data from AP to AP wirelessly.

There will be other way of doing this in the future.  There has been much
said about 802.16 wireless MAN networks which could be run under Part 97 or
might come about commercially soon (next couple of years).

As I said, it is doable, but don't expect to drive into a town and have
mobile Internet access anytime soon.

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."
--Albert Einstein