[Ham-80211] Why? (was Handoff between access point? )

Carl Walthall n8cdw at direcway.com
Wed Nov 24 23:35:57 UTC 2004

Hi Larry

Thanks for the information! I have access to a small city wide 802.11B
network setup by a friend 3 or 4 years ago before he learned that he was
violating part 15. The system has 13 towers at 50 feet around the city and
the central tower is 200 feet. Each tower has a 5 watt amp and 14 or 24 DBi
antenna. Currently the system is running, but the commercial usage has been
discontinued. I started thinking about this because of the new 802.11 cell
phones under development and watching this group.

I was think the ham's here could use Voip to communicate with each other
using a laptop or maybe one of the new phones. We could use it for sending
emergency information during a disaster? But I am new to all this and just
experimenting until I make sure we are following part 97.

Thanks Again
Carl