[Ham-80211] Why? (was Handoff between access point? )

Larry Cerney lcerney at viawest.net
Thu Nov 25 01:20:24 UTC 2004

Hi Carl, et al;

Part 97 allows for much higher power and gain than the 802.11 limits set by
the FCC.  Off the top of my head I believe you should be legal up to 100
watts output, more than you'll need.  You MUST stay in the Ham band which is
I believe channels 1-3.

If you have the towers and want to fire up AP's on them it sounds like you
could set the AP up in bridge mode back to the 200' tower which I would
imagine would be the central hub location.  Pick a few towers and get the
hardware and experiment.  If it works out, expand.

If you can, go back and read some of the discussion on this list from about
6 months ago about IDing and access limiting and things like that.  I seem
to remember you must restrict access to Hams.  I don't know how large an
area you are looking to cover, but with 13 towers and some good antennas you
just might be able to do what you want to do.

Check out the Linksys WRT54G (embedded Linux) AP's.  They're pretty cheap (a
HAM MUST) and the Sveasoft software.  The sveasoft loads into the WRT54G and
allows you to boost the power out from about 20 mW to about 84mW among other
things like the WDS.  There are some problems with running them hot, but if
you burn one out they are cheap enough to replace.

Good luck and keep us all informed on your progress here on the list.

73...
Larry
K0ANI

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."
--Albert Einstein