[Ham-80211] Why? (was Handoff between access point? )

Walt DuBose dubose at texas.net
Thu Nov 25 04:05:27 UTC 2004

I have to make one word of caution about using WiFi under Part 97
in lieu of using an ISP...see

    §97.113 Prohibited transmissions
    (a)(5) Communications, on a regular basis, which could
    reasonably be furnished alternatively through other radio
    services.

If using the WLAN as you only Internet Connection and frequently
used or only used to obtain certain types of material, they this
would in in violation of the regulation.

For Example, if E-Mail for an account dubose at satx.rr.com could
only be accessed through this link and was a "family" E-mail
account, they it would be prohibited.  However, if its
k5yfw at satx.rr.com and only used for ham radio "business" then I
would assume its Ok.

I believe that its the same if you only telephone capability was
a phone patch and you used it for all your calls.

Walt/K5YFW