[Ham-80211] Re: ham-80211 Digest, Vol 3, Issue 2

Guillaume Filion gfk at logidac.com
Fri Sep 3 19:17:18 UTC 2004

From: "Jeff King" <jeff at aerodata.net> wrote:
> That much being said, I'm well aware of the current sad state of affairs
that
> has progressively gotten worse in the U.S. over my lifetime. "If your not
> criminal, you shouldn't have anything to hide...right?" seems to be the
> mindset of the masses, with regards to all these invasions of privacy that
> are occurring.  But I digress....
>
> Bottom line, in the U.S., prepare to have your door kicked in, and then
spend
> the money to prove you are innocent.

I'm not sure what it has to do with 802.11 and HAMs but I'll bite.

I think that the present situation in the US is a "transient state" caused
by the terrorists attacks of 2001. You can see examples of this in every
war; for example, during WW2, asians living in the US and Canada were put
into camps in fear that they would work for the ennemy. These days, we can
see a roughly similar situation with the arabs living in the US; they are
not put into camps but are searched and inspected more than they would if
they were'nt arabs. Some of them are arrested without charges for
undisclosed security reasons. I believe this is called "racial profiling."

Things should be getting back to normal ("permanent state") in a couple
years if there are no more attacks. It's the security paradox, if the
CIA/FBI/etc are effective in stopping attacks, thing will go back to normal
and the govn't will cut the CIA/FBI/etc funding and reduce their powers. If
the CIA/FBI/etc fail to stop other attacks, they'll likely get more funding
and more powers.

Note that I'm not stating an opinion of this behavior, I'm just associating
facts; I'm personally not sure what to think about this.

73 and have a good week-end,
GFK's
--
Guillaume Filion, ing. jr