[Ham-80211] Re: ham-80211 Digest, Vol 3, Issue 2

Darryl Smith Darryl at radio-active.net.au
Fri Sep 3 21:46:39 UTC 2004

Funny you should bring that up, about "The mouse that roared"...

There was an opinion poll in one of the papers here a few months back,
basically asking about the future of the Commonwealth of Australia.

I think something like 20% of people believed that we would be a state of
the USA within 50 years. Interestingly less people believed that Australia
and New Zealand would become a single nation - something that almost
happened when the commonwealth of Australia was formed in 1901. [Reminds me
of a song for the 1996 Olympics, which went "We don't care who wins, so long
as Australia beats New Zealand]

... Anyway onto the topic of wireless - I leave Australia for three weeks
away tomorrow morning. I will be spending a night in New Zealand, a week in
the USA, A week in London and a week in Rome. I hope to meet as many members
of the list as possible. I will be in LA on Monday. Not sure what I am doing
yet... So if anyone is free.

I have been chasing 802.11 coverage for London. It costs 16 UK Pounds per
day, at cheapest. But if I subscribe for a month-to-month plan with T-Mobile
USA I get roaming in London, for US$40/month. If I committed to a 12 month
contract it would be US$30/month. The economics are screwed up there
somewhere.

---------
Darryl Smith, VK2TDS   POBox 169 Ingleburn NSW 2565 Australia
Mobile Number 0412 929 634 [+61 4 12 929 634 International]
www.radio-active.net.au\blog\ - www.radio-active.net.au\web\tracking