[Ham-80211] 802.16e?

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Mon Apr 11 23:54:19 UTC 2005

Hi, Darryl,

Darryl Smith wrote:
> People
>
> I am not sure if anything has been said here, but one of the holy grails of
> this list has been to use the cheap 802.11 equipment on dedicated
> frequencies.

This's been discussed before on the list I host on TAMU's site.

> Now imagine a piece of equipment... OFDM, so now power limits; operates 2-6
> GHz, operates at 80 MPH, latencies in the Miliseconds; over 1 MBPS
> bandwidth, and point/multi-point.

The spec's up to 70 Mb/s

> The 3.3 GHz version is available here in Sydney for US$120 with an Ethernet
> interface. This system requires base stations but it is fast, and it does
> seem to have the range thanks to power outputs.

802.16 prices aren't down that low here in the US yet.

> Now, what is this? Well, it is 802.16e. A new metropolitan version of 802.11
> on licensed frequencies.

Most of the US implementations are unlicensed... Part 15... for them,
but overlay the Amateur 5 GHz allocations.

> This might be a better way for hams to be doing thing... If we can get the
> base stations cheap, I am sure that the mobile hardware can be cheap, and on
> ham frequencies...
>
> In the next few days I will be trialing a tracker at 3.3 GHz using this
> system...

I've got a point-to-point link up in Part 15 service, and a
point-to-multipoint link set up in Part 97 service.  Both work well.
802.16 has been more widely used in Europe and Asia... and now down
under, apparently... than in the US.  Costs are still high here, but I
fully expect the price to drop to sub-$500 levels in a year with
widespread acceptance and implementation in the unlicensed service.

Problem is, then, we're faced with the same sort of problem as with
802.11*: the wireless ISPs general users won't understand the
implications of their unlicensed use vice our licensed use.  They'll
simply understand they paid money and expect it to work trouble-free.

I see 802.16 as a bright future, especially for infrastructure links.

gerry