[Ham-80211] 802.16e?

Rich Osman rich at osman.com
Tue Apr 12 00:02:14 UTC 2005

Darryl,

Since the 802.16e standard isn't complete yet, it's hard to understand
how equipment would be available anywhere.   There *are* high speed
wireless data networks in Australia.  None I am aware of are OFDM.

Unwired Australia uses Navini Networks (CDMA based)
Personal Broadband Australia (was CKW Wireless) uses Arraycomm's iBurst
(they are owned by Arraycomm) iBurst is not OFDM.

Since both of these companies are in Sydney I suspect you are taling
about one of them.

IQ networks will be deploying UMTS-TDD (3G Time Division Duplex CDMA
from IPWireless) in the north, but I'm pretty sure that's later this
year.  This is the same technology already used by Whoosh wireless in
New Zealand.

You also said: "OFDM, so now power limits"  I'm guessing that this is a
typo and was intended to say "no power limits."  If that is what you
intended, there are still power limits imposed by local regulators
regardless of modualtion scheme.

You are absolutely correct that wireless broadband data is rolling out
everywhere.  It's likely that 802.16e will eventually dominate, but
right now no one makes equipement. Some manufacturers claim the ability
to upgrade with software.  We'll see.

--
mailto:Rich at Osman.com  http://www.rich.osman.com
Rich Osman;  POB 93167; Southlake, TX 76092 (Near DFW Airport) ARS: N1OZ

If you receive something that says "Send this to everyone you know,"
      PLEASE pretend you don't know me.