[Ham-80211] Re: 802.16e?

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at jnos.org
Tue Apr 12 17:57:06 UTC 2005

> Darryl-
>  In the US that spec will be known as "WiMax" for MLANs (Metropolitan Area
> LANS). Since the spec is not finalized yet, the equipment is not available
> here yet. Pre-spec 802.11n equipment, like the Wifi "pre-N" gear being sold
> here, is on the market but many of us don't want to hear about pre-spec
> equipment given the industry's reputation for bungling and creating
> techno-orphans.

And many of us want to hear about everything..

For folks that don't recognize the significance of Darryl's note..   The 3.3 to 3.5G
spectrum (I believe) is Part 97 in the U.S. but not Part15.  Thus we hams could
use the "foreign" equipment locally and maintain the Part15 frequencies for interacting
with our neighbors on a non-amateur basis.

A "reasonably priced" source of 3.3G Wi* equipment could open things
up in the US.

Bill - WA7NWP