[Ham-80211] Re: 802.16e?

Bill Diaz william.diaz at comcast.net
Wed Apr 13 15:58:53 UTC 2005

Gerry,
  I understand there are quite a few Navini systems in the US.  Navini
claims to provide Non-Line-Of-Site paths.  There is one in Morris,IL
operating on 2.4Ghz (part 15).  This system uses some type of electronically
steerable array to optimize the path to each client.  Don't recall exactly,
but they claim throughput around 1mbs. NLOS range is somewhat limited,
around 2-3 miles if I recall correctly.  BTW, this system was installed
about 18 months ago.  Newer Navini systems may use a different protocol.

Motorola now offers what they claim is a migration path to Wi-Max, though it
is still presently part15.  I have 5.7Ghz and 900Mhz systems running
Motorola Canopy Advantage radios.  Throughput on the 5.7 Advantage system
can be as high as 7mbs up and down, though the highest I have been able to
achieve is 6mbs up and down.  Bandwidth decreases with range but you can
still expect a minimum of about 2mbs up and down out to about 10 miles on
5.7ghz.  The 900Mhz Advantage radios can operate over NLOS paths, kinda.  In
highly RF congested areas you may get up to 3 miles and throughputs as high
as 2mbs down and 1 mbs up.  Horizontal polarization is needed to provide
additional interference protection from the multitude of other stations on
these frequencies.  The Canopy systems are point to multipoint systems.  We
have tried operating mobile with the 900Mhz system, with little success.

With the new technologies coming on line, some of the older commericial
equipment will be rendered obsolete.  This surplus equipment may be ideal
for Ham usage but will still be low power etc.  It will work just fine for
point-to-point hops or portable multipoint systems for special events.

Bill KC9XG