[Ham-80211] SOCALWUG meeting tomorrow Thursday 125 mile 802.11b link and Trevor Marshall, PhD

Frank Keeney kg6jve at pasadena.net
Wed Aug 24 23:36:08 UTC 2005

We'll attempt to stream the meeting video live, see http://www.socalwug.org
for the latest video streaming information.

The next SOCALWUG meeting is tomorrow Thursday 08/25/04 at 7pm (Pacific).
Locations and directions at http://www.socalwug.org

Presentations:

Frank Keeney, Discussion on the world record set at the Third Annual Wi-Fi
Shootout at the Defcon conference in Las Vegas. This year a new 802.11b
distance record was set at 125 miles. I'll show detailed Google Earth (and
other) maps of the successful and unsuccessful locations that they attempted
and why they did and did not work. Detailed hardware discussion, more photos
and news of the event. I'll show the "high definition" version of the
popular online video from http://pasadena.net/shootout05

Trevor Marshall, PhD, http://www.trevormarshall.com holds the Australian
Amateur Radio distance record set back in 1964 of about 105.5 miles set (by
voice) on the ultra-high frequency of 576 MHz amateur band. The record still
stands, as the 576MHz band was lost to amateur use soon after that.

He'll present information on long-range propagation and FCC rules. He'll
also explore the techniques of building long distance links and their
affects on data timing in transmission and reception. This will be an
enlightening presentation for those wanting to discuss and learn about how
to build reliable long distance wireless links.

Who should attend?

Wireless ISPs
Wireless technicians and engineers
Business people interested in wireless
People working in the wireless community
Wireless Security professionals
People new to wireless
People interested in meeting others involved in the wireless community
Buyers of wireless technology products and services
Those interested in lively technical discussions ranging from beginner to
expert
People new to wireless

Meeting Cost: Free!

Agenda (times are approximate):

7:00 Mixing - business/friend contacts
7:10 Logon> Introductions to the group and key members
7:15 Announcements & News Items
7:20 General Q&A
7:25 Frank Keeney, http://www.wlanparts.com
8:00 Trevor Marshall, PhD, http://www.trevormarshall.com
8:40 Mixing - break off into groups of discussions
9:00 Logoff>

When:

Every Fourth Thursday
7:00pm to 9:00pm (Pacific)
Thursday 08/25/04 7pm

Where:

Pasadena IHOP Restaurant (rear meeting room)
3521 E. Foothill Blvd
Pasadena, CA 91107
Location: http://ihop.know-where.com/ihop/cgi/site?00006
Wireless SSID: www.socalwug.org
GPS: N 34 09.032 - W 118 04.645

Take the Train!

MTA Gold Line "Sierra Madre Villa" station Visit the MTA site for times and
stations:
http://www.mta.net/riding_metro/metro_rail/gold_line/default.htm
Click this MapQuest link for a walking map from the SMV station:
http://tinyurl.com/lhum

Note: Please come hungry and support our host. Food served during meeting.
Separate checks.

Please redistribute this notice.

Frank Keeney
Pasadena Networks, LLC