[Ham-80211] Municipal WiFi Meets Free WiFi]

Hampton, Rickey L. RHAMPTON at PARTNERS.ORG
Thu Aug 25 22:11:52 UTC 2005

Hi, folks.

Hopefully, one of the more interesting comments will be submitted by me for our
healthcare group, located in Boston.

The important thing to realize is that Massport and Continental are arguing over
whether or not the OTARD rules govern this use of wireless.  The interference
issue was only brought up because it is in the standard language of the lease
agreement Continental signed for their space.  I've not yet seen any specific
claims from Massport to that issue.  As a large renter/leaser of commercial
space in the Boston area, that's where I'll be focusing my comments.

Rick Hampton, WD8KEL
Wireless Communications Manager
Partners HealthCare System
Boston, MA

-----Original Message-----
From: ham-80211-bounces at lists.tapr.org
[mailto:ham-80211-bounces at lists.tapr.org]On Behalf Of Drew
Sent: Thursday, August 25, 2005 5:36 PM
To: ham-80211 at lists.tapr.org
Subject: Re: [Ham-80211] Municipal WiFi Meets Free WiFi]

Typically the concern over installing a Wi-Fi device isn't because of

property rights, it's concern over extending the existing network into
an uncontrolled space. University IT groups (and most business IT
groups) don't think of the 'physical layer' of Wi-Fi as radio amateurs
do. Their primary concern is network security.
Now, if a student installs an access point that connects solely to their
personal network, and doesn't route to the campus network, it should be
'OK'. That is, unless, the student's access point is causing harmful
interference to the school's incumbent wireless network. Part 15 rules
apply, here.
As far as Part 97 rules apply, I believe that since your station would
be licensed, they cannot cause any harmful interference to your station,
and must shut down if they do. However, using Part 97 rules in your own
Wi-Fi network excludes the use of any wireless security or encryption,
short of MAC address filtering (please, correct me if my assumption is
incorrect).

73,
James Kearney, KC7YJJ