[Ham-80211] diversity space or not

Juch Iii, Roy F (Fred Juch) fred.juch at hp.com
Thu Dec 15 15:37:30 UTC 2005

It is not an either/or question. The higher power will only help you if
yhe client also has higher power. It is the Aligator syndrome. Large
mouth and small ears. If you cannot hear the client the additional power
will not help. The other analogy is the silicon or aluminum question. It
is always better to buy aluminum (antennas) than silicon (amplifiers).

If your signal strength is good, one antenna will usually work fine. It
is when you get multipath signals that the other antenna begins to help.
Be sure both antennas are set up to cover the same area. Be sure if you
use one antenna to turn off the other port on the AP, or the AP may
select the dead port and never switch back to the antenna.

The multipath problem is best understood by listening to a remote AM
radio station. As you pull to a light the signal may fade out. If you
rool forward about 3' the signal comes back in. You just rolled from a
dead spot to a high signal strength area. This is what the AP does
electronicaly by switching antennas.

Hope this helped.

Fred, N5JXO

Fred Juch, - Solution Manager - Metro Mobility
Hewlett-Packard Mobility, Voice & Network Solution Organization
14231 Tandem Boulevard
Austin, TX  78728
Internet     Fred.Juch at hp.com
Voice        (512) 692-9648

Let me know if you prefer not to receive these e-mails from me.
For more information regarding HP's privacy policy or to obtain contact
information, please see HP's privacy statement at:
http://thenew.hp.com/country/us/eng/privacy_intent.html
  +hp = everything is possible