[Ham-80211] RE: diversity space or not

KC2MMi kc2mmi at verizon.net
Fri Dec 16 18:12:55 UTC 2005

Offhand one reason for two antennas: Antenna polarization.

Most laptops using an internal antenna, will have it vertically oriented along
the display. But those using a PCMCIA card will have it horizontal on the card
most of the time.

The difference between horizontal and vertical orientations can make a 10db
signal difference if the tx and rx are not oriented the same way, so a router
with two antennas would be able to have one flipped each way, to provide better
strength to both kinds of users in a mixed environment.

I never paid much attention to this, until I was fooling around with an external
antenna and looking at signal strengths. Very obvious change!