[Ham-80211] 802.11 MAC design rational

Hal Feinstein hfeinstein at cox.net
Wed Jan 5 05:47:53 UTC 2005

I'm trying to gain a better understanding of the logic behind choices made
in the design of the MAC layer.  For example,  there are different ways to
handle the hidden transmitter problem (none very good) so why did 802.11
choose
to use  the CTS/RTS reservation? Where alternatives considered and rejected?
 Another question I'm  trying to trace down is about QoS.
802.11 uses simple non-DCF polling as an option for
more intense traffic. Check the work of the 802.11e to see
whats being planned for improved QoS.
Many of the choices are now thought to be suboptimal
and I see that there's a lot of research going on to find and define
fixes. Check
the work of the 802.11e to see whats being planned for improved QoS.
But, I'd like to better understand how the original choices were
selected.  I haven't
been able to find much of the design rational documented and I'd be
interested to
know if anyone has come across this sort of thing, perhaps in a book,
conference paper
or IEEE pub?

Thanks
-- hal (wb3kdu)