[Ham-80211] Extreme novice question...

w3sz w3sz at comcast.net
Tue Jul 19 21:35:24 UTC 2005

Hi, Bob,

I run a 4.4 mile link with 24 dBi barbeque dish antennas at each end,
using Senao NL-2511 CB3-PLUS Wireless Multiclient bridges at each end, as
a point-to-point link. Links for some of the suppliers/equipment I used
are:

http://datacom.engeniustech.com/products_list.php?view=cat&cat=Client%20Bridge
http://www.senao.com/english/product/product_wireless01_all.asp
http://www.edigitalwireless.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=2
http://www.edigitalwireless.com/detail.aspx?ID=4

http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/antennas_2400_out_directional.php
http://www.hyperlinktech.com/web/cable_radio_pigtails_list.php

http://www.rflinx.com/Antenna%20Datasheets-html/2.4GHz%20CPE%20&%20Directional%20Antennas.htm

http://www.fab-corp.com/ also for antennas, coax pigtails

I have the bridges mounted up on the towers at the back of the antennas in
fiberglass boxes and run weatherproof CAT5 cable up to the boxes, using
POE [power run over the ethernet cable].

Its worked great for more than a year.

Before that I tried DLink DWL2100 AP b/g WAPs.  They were a disaster and
the link NEVER performed properly with them.  Stay away!

73,

Roger Rehr
W3SZ

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 16:16:04 -0400, J&BCrafts <jbcraft at adelphia.net> wrote:

> My father-in-law (W8MXR) lives 2.9m south of me. He is on a ridge,
> perhaps the second highest point in the county.
>
> Looking at the topo map, we are line of sight, from his roof to the top
> of my tower.
>
> What is the prefered 802.11b/g hardware device that would help us to
> build a network with minimum effort??
>
> We are thinking that we should use either a long Yagi at each end or
> even a dish, mount the AP's outside on the roof/tower at the base of the
> feedline, running DC for the AP and Cat5e for the network at each
> location.
>
> Sugggestions??
>

> Bob K8YS

Roger Rehr