[Ham-80211] Re: General question....newbie

Steve kb9mwr at yahoo.com
Fri May 20 05:10:55 UTC 2005

Hi Nick,

I'm only a few years older than you and I also started on 1200 baud, then migrated to 9600 and still play around there...  But webpages take a bit even at 9600 with compressed content.  I run a fairly common web message board and all the other standard services.  I basically mimic the internet with web, mail, and FTP services, streaming digital audio/video over IP, conferencing ect.  I have a ham/web scanner and a webcam on the roof..  Just all fun screw around stuff that would be pretty hard to do at slower speeds.

I know of a ham in Sturgeon Bay north of here who uses 802.11 to link to his repeater site to support an echolink connection.  I know in the south west part of the state they use 802.11 for emergency communication drills to file reports, and the backbone is an Icom D-star unit...

Here are some links to bits and pieces of local (WI) stuff:

Using Part 15 Wireless Ethernet Devices For Amateur Radio

900 MHz Arrowcomm ConnexLink:

It's more like what would you like to do?  Chances are you can do it if you put your mind to it and you have the necessary bandwidth to support it.