[Ham-80211] Re: General question....newbie

Steve kb9mwr at yahoo.com
Fri May 20 05:10:55 UTC 2005

Hi Nick,

I'm only a few years older than you and I also started on 1200 baud, then migrated to 9600 and still play around there...  But webpages take a bit even at 9600 with compressed content.  I run a fairly common web message board and all the other standard services.  I basically mimic the internet with web, mail, and FTP services, streaming digital audio/video over IP, conferencing ect.  I have a ham/web scanner and a webcam on the roof..  Just all fun screw around stuff that would be pretty hard to do at slower speeds.

I know of a ham in Sturgeon Bay north of here who uses 802.11 to link to his repeater site to support an echolink connection.  I know in the south west part of the state they use 802.11 for emergency communication drills to file reports, and the backbone is an Icom D-star unit...

Here are some links to bits and pieces of local (WI) stuff:

D-Star:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3660
http://astro.gmtc.net/dstar

Using Part 15 Wireless Ethernet Devices For Amateur Radio
http://www.qsl.net/kb9mwr/projects/wireless/plan.html

900 MHz Arrowcomm ConnexLink:
http://k9als.org:8080

It's more like what would you like to do?  Chances are you can do it if you put your mind to it and you have the necessary bandwidth to support it.